Cate Blanchett to star in new lesbian film
Monday, 21 May 2012 09:46
The novel has been adapted for screen by Phyllis Nagy and will be directed by John Crowley. It will be retitled ‘Carol’ after the novel’s lead character.
The Price of Salt, which was first published in 1952 under a pseudonym, notoriously dared to suggest a happy ending for the two female lovers at the heart of the tale, rather than the death or despair conclusions usually served up to homosexual women in fiction at the time.
While lesbian romances are few and far between in mainstream cinema, the film’s producer Elizabeth Karlsen said: “We’ve come a long way since Dirk Bogarde starred in Victim. We’ve had Brokeback Mountain, A Single Man, Far From Heaven – and President Obama came out in support of gay marriage.”
- Love It or Hate It? Cate Blanchett’s Elizabethan Premiere Look (bellasugar.com)
- Which Shade of Blonde Do You Like Best on Cate Blanchett? (bellasugar.com)
- Elizabeth- Starring Cate Blanchett (netflowers.wordpress.com)
- Cannes 2012 diary: Cate Blanchett to star in lesbian drama Carol (guardian.co.uk)
- 2008 Cannes Film Festival: Cate Blanchett (fabsugar.com)
- Liquid Gold Cate Blanchett: Love It or Hate It? (fabsugar.com)
- Cate Blanchett, Mia Wasikowska Cast In Adaptation Of Highsmith’s ‘Carol’: Cannes (deadline.com)
- Cate Blanchett Confirmed To Star In Carol (emileeid.com)
- The Many Faces of… Cate Blanchett (myfilmviews.com)
- SHOWBIZ: DC’s Gay Superhero, Cynthia Nixon Weds, Cate Blanchett Goes Gay, Paris Hilton, And More! (queerty.com)