Aishwarya Rai–From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Aishwarya Rai launches Longines new sport watch collection 2007
Born 1 November 1973 (age 38)
Mangalore, Karnataka, India
Residence Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
Other names Aishwarya Rai Bachchan, Ash, Gullu, Queen of Bollywood, Dreamgirl
Occupation Actress, model
Years active 1991–present
Spouse(s) Abhishek Bachchan (2007–present)
Children Aaradhya Bachchan
Aishwarya Rai (also known as Aishwarya Rai Bachchan after her marriage; Tulu pronunciation [əjɕʋərjaː rəj]; born 1 November 1973) is an Indian film actress. She worked as a model before starting her acting career, and ultimately won the Miss India and Miss World pageant titles in 1994. Rai has starred in films in various languages including Hindi, English, Tamil, Telugu, and Bengali.
Often cited by the media as the “most beautiful woman in the world”, Rai made her acting debut in 1999 with Mani Ratnam’s Tamil film Iruvar and then made her Bollywood debut with Aur Pyaar Ho Gaya. she had her first commercial success with Jeans (1998) and continued her winning streak in Bollywood with Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam (1999, for which she received her first Filmfare Award for Best Actress), Taal (1999) and Devdas (2002, fetched her second Filmfare Best Actress award. Rai’s performances in these films strengthened her standing in the industry and was recognised by critics accepting as one of the best actresses.
After a series of unsuccessful films during 2003–2005, she appeared in the blockbuster action thriller Dhoom 2 (2006) and subsequently featured in such films as Guru (2007), Jodhaa Akbar (2008), Raavanan (2009) and Enthiran (2010). She received critical acclaim for her performances in films like Chokher Bali (2003), Raincoat (2004), Provoked (2007) and Guzaarish (2010). Rai has thus established herself as one of the leading contemporary actresses of Indian cinema.
Rai is the most recognized female face in India and Abroad. Her off-screen roles include duties as brand ambassador for various charity organisations and campaigns. She is married to fellow actor Abhishek Bachchan, son of actors Amitabh Bachchan and Jaya Bachchan. In 2009 she was honoured with the Padma Shri, the fourth-highest civilian award given by the Government of India. Rai has been appointed as goodwill ambassador for UNAIDS in 2012.
- Aishwarya Rai Bachchan Blasted by Rani Mukherjee (celebs.gather.com)
- Aishwarya Rai Bachchan’s Anarkalis Obsession Rubbing Off?! (celebs.gather.com)
- L’Oreal Definitely Didn’t Fire Aishwarya Rai (bellasugar.com)
- Aishwarya Rai Bachchan stuns at Longines collection launch (panasianbiz.com)
- Aishwarya Rai Bachchan, Bollywood Return on Horizon? (celebs.gather.com)
- Aishwarya Rai Bachchan named goodwill ambassador for UNAIDS (vancouverdesi.com)
- GORGEOUS! Aishwarya Rai Bachchan walks for watch brand (sfluxe.com)
- Aishwarya Rai ready to star with actors other than Abhishek Bachchan (examiner.com)
- Salman Khan highest tax payer in Bollywood, Aishwarya Rai … – Bloomberg UTV (yourmoneysite.com)
- Aishwarya Rai Bachchan to be interviewed by David Frost (digitalspy.co.uk)